How do I add an open plan extension?
Open plan extensions are increasing in popularity as more of us desire a space where our family can live, cook and entertain together.
Many of us have ideas of what we would like to create if our open plan extension dream were to become a reality but are often not sure how to go about turning these dreams into reality. This handy guide will advise you of the steps you need to take to add an open plan extension to your home.
Adding an open plan extension – first steps
In the past, the starting point for an open plan extension was always to speak to an architect. Not only would they advise on designs, but also on products, including roofing systems that would be based on a traditional timber/slate construction.
Due to advances in roofing technology, an architect no longer needs to be your first port of call if you’re wondering how to add an open plan extension to your home – your local Ultraframe Ultra Installer will be able to tell you all the information you need to get started, and dependent on what you’re hoping to achieve, you may not need to employ an architect at all.
How do I add on open plan extension checklist/tips
Here are some handy tips which can be used as a checklist of things to ask/check if you’re wanting to add an open plan extension to your home:
- Speak to your local Ultra Installer in the first instance – they will be able to advise on styles that would be suitable for your home as well as taking care of the red tape from your local council.
- It’s also a good idea to have an idea of what you’d like for your open plan extension in mind before you speak to your Ultra Installer as a starting point. Just key points to use as a starting pint are fine. This might be things like a pitched roof/flat roof, must include glazed areas, a rough idea of the size, any ideas for the exterior such as claddings etc. If you can approach your installer to discuss adding an open plan extension to your home with some ideas such as these, this will give the installer a good basis on which to design your new open plan extension.
You might assume that if you are adding an open plan extension to your home that you will automatically need Planning Permission but this is not always the case as many open-plan extensions can be added under Permitted Development – meaning that Planning Permission is not required. Your Ultra Installer will be able to help and advise on anything regarding Planning Permission or Permitted Development for adding an open plan extension to your home but if you wish to find out more yourself, you can visit the Planning Portal website.
- If you are opening up your home to your new open plan extension, rather than it being separated with locking doors, you will always require Building Regulations approval but don’t worry, your Ultra Installer will be able to take care of this for you.
- You may find that your initial ideas for adding an open plan extension to your home are not possible because of Planning Permission or Permitted Development stipulations and so you may have to be open to looking at new designs that are not what you originally had in mind for your open plan extension. However, Ultra Installers are highly skilled in the design of open plan home extensions and so they will be able to create a design that not only looks beautiful but also complies with Planning Permission rules.
- You may or may not be aware that the roof on your extension doesn’t necessarily have to be built from timber and slate. The Ultraroof and Livinroof systems from Ultraframe are perfect for the roof of an open plan extension but can be fitted in a fraction of the time as they are based on conservatory technology.
- Another popular option for adding an open plan extension to your home is a flat roof extension. These can be turned from dark open plan extensions into light-filled open plan extensions with the addition of Lanterns and flat skylights.
As you can see, there are many things to consider when planning to add an open plan extension to your home, but the key thing to remember is that your Ultraframe Ultra Installer can help and is the first person to contact when planning an open plan extension. They will be able to advise and inspire with their ideas and knowledge so that adding an open plan extension to your home will no longer seem daunting.
Once you have added your open plan extension to your home, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it. The sociable aspect than an open plan extension brings to a home and the increased family time that results is priceless.
If you need any further information about adding an open plan extension to your home contact your nearest Ultraframe Ultra Installer, or why not take a look at our product and case study pages to be inspired by the open plan extensions of other homeowners.