Home security is important to everyone.
Conservatories are often wrongly seen as a soft target for opportunist thieves because of the amount of glass in the building. This is simply not true, With good security features a conservatory is as secure as any other room in you home.
There are a number of things that you can do to make your conservatory as secure as possible.
- Ensure that you have internal beading on your glass, which prevents people from moving the glass externally.
- Doors should be fitted with Multi point locking systems.
- Windows should be fitted with a shoot locking mechanism which pushes two bolts into the actual window frame
- Force resistant hinges should also be fitted to all windows and doors.
- Ask your installer if your conservatory is covered by BS7950/7412 which is awarded for improved security requirements of mechanical loading, human intervention and glazing security.
- If you are having a glass roof ensure you are getting toughened glass.
There are many other security precautions on the outside of the conservatory you can undertake such as security lighting, secure locks on garden gates and even prickly bushes planted round the garden can deter would be thieves.